Thursday, June 24, 2010

To podcast or not to podcast - that is the question.

Where I Am: I think I've been at my computer so long, I've become part of it, like the sailors aboard Davy Jones' ship.

What I'm Listening To: My Sims music and my whirling thoughts



I just finished up with a Writer's Digest Webinar on the subject of podcasting your writing in order to reach your readers.

*blinks*

I honestly don't know how I feel about all I learned today. It totallly flies in the face of what one ordinarily thinks of publishing and so on. In this case, author Seth Harwood created his own fanbase which ultimately led to publication of his books. He did this by putting his books online as free serial audiobook podcasts. Obviously, this worked for him. Look him up on Amazon or Google him and you will find he's done very well. He also founded CrimeWAV and co-founded Author Boot Camp with this same idea in mind.

So, do I serialize my book and make it available as a free audio podcast? I don't know. I would like to build the author's platform that is so often suggested. I just don't know if this is the method that I will really most enjoy and be most comfortable following. It does give me a lot to think about. Thankfully, this isn't one of those decisions I must make, you know, NOW. I can ponder it, read about it (yes, I did order Christina Katz' book after her kind and helpful comment on my last blog post), and generally research the heck out of it.

I could, of course, try a seriously modified approach and make audio files of some of my short stories available. It doesn't have the same appeal as a serialized book, I know, but I could get my feet wet that way and consider what I'm comfortable putting out there. That would have the added advantage of something I could try right away as I complete the editing and polishing of my novel.

Argh. For the moment, however, I'm going to go give my poor brain a rest.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a tool for your toolbox. Something to try if the normal channels fail to get you where you'd like to go. I am a huge fan of audio books and serialized books on radio are cool too. A podcast gives the listener more options - so that's a good thing. But, you still have to draw in listeners in some' marketing-based' way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely a tool worth having. I'm not sure I'm ready to use this particular tool, but I'll keep it handy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!, this was a top quality post. In theory I'd like to write like this too - taking time and real effort to make a good article... but what can I say... I keep putting it off and never seem to get something done

    Cheap Printer Ink Cartridges

    ReplyDelete