Monday, December 28, 2009

While I have kept an online journal for several years now, it's purpose was strictly social. It was a way of staying in touch with a number of people scattered across the globe. I haven't had a writing journal but the value of one seems fairly clear. So, here we are.

Why am I doing this? Well, if you're reading this, it's no doubt because you're a writer, yourself. Whether it's your job, your passion or both (you fortunate person, you), you enjoy the process of fitting words together to create pictures, express all sorts of ideas, reach out to others, and so on. So, that's why I'm doing this. Join me and we'll follow this road together.

For today, I'll get started with a prompt from http://www.creativewritingprompts.com .

"The best thing in life is..."

We've been told that the best things are free, that love is all we need, and that it's all just a bowl of cherries. The sorts of things called "best" run the gamut from simple pleasures such as watching a spider spin a web on a lazy summer afternoon to absolutely enormous diamonds providing the brightest flash of bling imaginable.

There are those who judge others based on how they would complete this prompt sentence. "The best thing in life is..."

So, how does one finish the sentence? By what criteria do we filter through the many blessings of our lives to choose that one thing that would fill out that statement?

Personally, I think one would have to create a new answer for every moment of the day. What is the greatest good at one moment may have little value in the next. At 5:45 a.m., when you're first facing the thought of starting another day, would the best thing in life be a really good cup of coffee? In the evening, when the all the work that can be done has been done, is the best thing in life a half hour of conversation with the person you love best?

However, if I really had to choose only one way to complete the sentence, I think I'd have to say that the best thing in life is the knowledge that there are too many wonderful things in my life to choose only one.

1 comment:

  1. I love the sentiment you've expressed so eloquently here. It's sort of the essence of creativity, be it in the form of writing or art.

    ReplyDelete